Wednesday, August 11, 2010


Life is an endless to do list:
Credits, resumes, opportunity seeking, work.
Life is an endless hike to the unreachable peak:
the tears, the sweat, the headaches, the heartaches.
Life is an endless quest for fulfillment:
finding passion, comfort, stability, home.
Looking ahead, you can see the lists as they lengthen in your mind and spiral out of control.
The spiral staircase is thin and steep and there are no handrails.
One false move and certain doom, stay where you are and you're going nowhere.
I must continue climbing.

But you, somehow, were my little rock that slipped and crumbled the mountain.
With you, the fall was better than the climb.

4 comments:

  1. I visited your blog as Robb on Poets United suggested we do some "day tripping," meaning visiting blogs we don't usually visit. So I explored yours. Nice work.

    I like this poem very much. You have characterized life well. And yes, we must all continue climbing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of life as a to do list, there's some splendid imagery here, glad you're part of our community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, this is a strong poem with a surprise ending that totally MAKES it sing! I LOVE "you were the little rock"....and, most especially, "with you, the fall was better than the climb." Good job!

    ReplyDelete